19 June 2014

The Cruise Control EP ~ The 1957 Tail-Fin Fiasco

Stick this in your car stereo, roll down the windows and head for the highway cause this is a proper road trip EP. And so should be expected of such an aptly named band. Though it might not last you the entire journey... Give us a full album guys!




The 1957 Tail-Fin Fiasco are a band based in Essex, UK. That's it, that's all I know. I have no other background information on them except that BBC Radio 6 quite liked 'em and Radio Unleashed in New York quite liked 'em. I guess that's a good enough start, lets see if SunStock like 'em.

At first impressions, Cruise Control is an ace opener to an ace EP. At second impressions... Cruise Control is an ace opener to an ace EP! Distorted guitar, followed by mad drums and when those claps come in it takes everything in my will power not to clap along. Sometimes I forget there are other people in the room when my headphones are playing such excitable tunes.

The lyrics are crafted with great ingenuity and that chorus is proving to be one hell of an ear worm. I don't know whether to be annoyed or full of compliments, it's been stuck in my head all day.

The harmonies in the background are very Kings of Leon influenced. Now, I'm not a massive fan of the 'Kings' but these guys pull it off loads better.

The whole song is packed full of energy, and I'm sat here grooving along as I write.

But it gets better... The Legend of Josi & The Juke, the second track, is another step up for the EP with it's punchy drums and bass, accompanied by a proper rock n roll guitar riff. It's also got a bit of social commentary going on in there somewhere with the lyrics: 'I was born a cowboy but I’ll never ride a horse, it’s all about the boots and the hat, and what you ride of course.'

A pretty hard-hitting bridge there. And yet another ear worm of a chorus. Cheers guys...

Wrapped up again with that punchy riff, this is certainly the stand out track of the EP.

I'm liking it so far... Now onto track number three.

It's good... But it seems to have lost its road trip vibe. List Song is a bit of a jingle jangle tune (yes, I can hear that tambourine you've sneaked in there) complete with a cheesy pop guitar solo. I've got to say though, that harmonising guitar is the icing on the cake for me. I can't say I wasn't warned, they do after all describe themselves as 'proper grown up pop'. But a fade out? Come on guys, you can do better than that.

Despite its flaws, I can't help but still like this tune, but I can't figure out where the charm is coming from. I'll get back to you on that one.

The EP ends with a slurred waltz of a song. It's chorus of vocals offering to 'take a drink' with me is giving me the image of a long pub table. We've got our drinks in the air, we're swaying drunkenly from side to side and we're la la la-ing with all our hearts. And then all of a sudden the band is leaving on a spaceship by the sound of it. Quite futuristic for a 1957 tail-fin, I'm impressed. Does this mean they've left? I hope not, these guys are good!

A great end to a great EP, though the record seems to be split in two a little with two lively openers and two dawdling tunes. It doesn't end with the same energy it began with, but it doesn't let itself down. My first impressions were lasting impressions.

I like this EP, and at £2 a download you really can't go wrong. A huge recommendation from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment